I am always jealous of those fashion bloggers who blog not only about their love of fashion but throw in the occasional recipe, just to show how multi-talented they truly are.
Well ALPers… the truth is I am not allowed in the kitchen. It is literally a rule in my apartment. The bf won’t allow it — I am THAT bad. The only time you catch me in the kitchen is to open a bottle of wine and slice up a fresh block of cheese. So I turned to the next best thing, one of my best and most talented friends, Megan of A Cup of Mo. She is not only the creator of my logo but also one of those chic ‘foodies’. I asked (nay, begged) her to give you all some inspiration for your fabulous Oscar parties you are hosting.
I will follow up tomorrow with some outfit inspiration. I’m off to sneak into the kitchen to pour a glass of wine… Enjoy!
I love any excuse to try out new recipes so how could I miss out on an opportunity like the Academy Awards? Whether you plan on throwing a party and dressing in your favorite, fabulous movie star inspired outfit or if you are just going low-key and watching with your sweetie, I have some tasty ideas for you.
While I love to cook and mix drinks, I do not like to spend all night (or day, before an event) in the kitchen cooking and miss out on any minute of the red carpet coverage. Try out the recipes below for quick and fabulous treats!
Movie Inspired Cocktails
- Take one slice of orange, lemon, apple, cucumber per person and one sprig of mint
- Add to three parts lemonade to one part Pimm’s No. 1 (liqueur)
Ladies, if your man or any man-friend is watching the Oscar broadcast with you, get him a pint of Boddington’s Cream Ale.
- Shake 2oz Vodka
- ½ oz Sour Apple Schnapps
- ½ oz Apple Juice or Cider in a shaker 2/3 full of ice
- Strain into a chilled martini glass, garnish with a slice of apple
Sweet Dreams Cocktail – because what could possibly be more appropriate for this suspenseful dream world thriller?
- Stir 1oz of Irish Cream
- 1oz Coconut Rum
- 1oz Coffee Liqueur
- 1oz Half and Half
- In a martini shaker 2/3 full of ice
- Strain in to chilled martini glasses
- Pour ½ oz whipping cream over the drink
- Garnish with shredded coconut and chocolate shavings
Red Carpet Worthy Snacks
Irish Bangers in a Blanket that’ll ‘knock you out!’ (Inspiration: The Fighter)
- Subsitute Irish Sausages (Bangers) for the hotdogs in this recipe and serve with a grainy mustard.
Star Struck Sugar Cookies
- Roll out a batch of sugar cookies from the refrigerated section of your grocery store or mix up your favorite recipe and cut them into star shapes.
- When cooled, have fun decorating with yellow icing and/or sprinkles. For a true Hollywood sparkle you can try some edible glitter and then pipe on the names of your winning picks for an added touch.
The great movie classic: Popcorn
- Microwave your favorite popcorn but try some fun toppings to spice things up tonight.
- Suggested toppings: Dark chocolate M&M’s mixed into your popcorn, sprinkle on sweet kettle corn seasoning, or sprinkle on a savory seasoning (garlic salt, black pepper, a dash of cayenne pepper, parmesan cheese)
Black and White Pizza (Inspiration: Black Swan)
- A delicious and sophisticated dish, follow this easy recipe for a new take on a familiar food.
Tips to Pull it All Together
- Serve your snacks on gold colored plates, napkins and silverware
- Print out a list of the nominees for each guest (or just for you if you are watching solo) in all categories and have everyone circle who they think will win, award the winner with a jumbo size box of movie candy
- Encourage your guests to dress in glamorous Oscar fashion and award them with a jumbo size box of movie candy
- Fellow blogger Bakerella also has some great ideas for the more adventurous baker!
Enjoy the Oscars! What will you be making?